Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Armando Wants To Rock Your Body

I have to give myself props for that title...I mean, it got your attention, right? The exhibitionist in me (you have to have some bit of exhibitionism in you to blog in the first place, right?) is conscious of the entertainment facet of blogging, and so perhaps I'm making up for lost time, lost posts with this one - life has been sorta' wild lately and I haven't been Mellybloglately.

But, back to Armando. This morning I went to The Club, my exercise place where I have a membership that I have been squandering of late. Let's just say the squandering shows, and I am tired enough of it that I drug my poor body to class this morning. While there, I picked up a schedule and learned about a new class called Body Rock, taught by, of course, Armando. It's billed as "hip-hop with a Latin flair," and it meets on Tuesday nights, so I called Erin, and we were there.

Erin is such a fun friend, and so she is the only one I could dream of ever going to a class like this with. A couple of years ago, we both (motivated by her upcoming wedding in which I was a participant) got on the get-in-shape bandwagon. We spent enough time on the treadmills to realize that there had to be a better way to get our cardio in, and we discovered "Dance Attack" with GT. GT claimed to be a choreographer for various professional entertainers, and he might well have been the real deal. The kid could dance, and his classes were packed. It was so fun, and what calories we didn't burn from dancing, we burned from laughing - at our (very white) selves, at others, at the whole spectacle in general. Sadly, GT moved about a year ago, and we have missed him much.

We have high hopes for Armando. And he seems to have promise. He is a great dancer, and seems like a fun kid. He's no GT, but if we can have fun, are actually exercising, and relieving some stress, too, we're likely to be hooked. The class wasn't as packed, but it was still entertaining. Picture a hodge-podge of: brothers and sisters who can really dance, a handful of white grandmothers who look like they have never shaken their hips in their lives, some teenagers who are well-acquainted with hip-shakin', some who have no rhythm and groove (both those that know it and those that don't), and then me and Erin. Suffice it to say, we fit right in, somewhere, and have lots of fun.

I know you are sorry there aren't pictures with this post. Don't hold your breath for any, either. Although they did say today that December and January are Bring-A-Buddy months at The Club, and if you want to actually participate in the class, you can do so for free. It's the only way you're ever gonna' see me rock this body.

2 comments:

e said...

I would like all of you fans of Melly's World to know that she rocks that body quite well and when Armano or our beloved GT tell us to "add our own flare" she does it with the style and spunk you would expect from someone well aquainted with the poll (if you know what I mean). If that doesn't inspire you to visit The Club I don't know what will.

Melanie said...

Very funny, my friend. Very funny, indeed.