Thursday, May 24, 2007

WE HAVE GOT TO GET OUT OF HERE

It seems like almost once a day I think these words to myself if I don't say them out loud. So here's the "we have got to get out of here" moment of the day . . .
A friend of ours was robbed at knife-point in her home at 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday. Broad daylight, in a nice neighborhood. Jewelry taken and shoved in a closet. We can add this to the list of weekly robbings in the parking lot at Kroger (again, broad daylight), being accosted by strangers in menacing ways in the parking lot at Target, cars disappearing daily, things disappearing out of people's carports and garages, and the list goes on...it's an everyday thing here. Yes, I know, crime happens everywhere. Yes, I know, you have to be aware of your surroundings wherever you might live. But it isn't necessary to live with the constant spectre of danger when you are going about your daily life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No WAY. Do I know the girl? And it's not just Belhaven anymore, I presume. I thought Big Bustin' Melton was supposed to whip that city in to shape.
I'd been looking at your blog for days, maybe weeks!, waiting for a post to no avail, and suddenly there are multiple!!! I'm so glad ya'll got to have that special time with the Schwant's at the beach--wish that would have worked out so badly. I cannot believe it is coming so soon! I cannot even imagine what it is like to live in your shoes right now. Miss you, and you know I'm praying for you.
Sarah

Melanie said...

Cassie Graves. She is so shaken and really having a tough time, per Sunday School reports. She and Matt have gone to the delta to be with family. They lived in Sherwood Forest, back Northside Drive, with the rest of north Jackson.