Last night I had the greatest date - Lucy and I went to the baseball game. I realize I have been a quiet fan of late, but there hasn't been much to scream about, honestly. The Cardinals are fading in to the sunset, which, while disappointing, I have come to terms with. The stress of last September and October really took years off my life, I think. It has been a tough season for all Cards fans, but seen in perspective, it's easier to swallow...I mean, we play in the postseason so often, it's easy to think that if we don't, something horribly wrong. Ok, back to my date...
So Lucy and I went to a game! We took public transportation, and she is becoming quite the urban girl, I
have to say. She's figured out how to read the MetroLink maps, buy tickets, and she loves taking responsibility for where we got off, getting our tickets validated, and making sure we got on the right train coming home. We got there super-early and roamed the stadium, taking it all in and hunting high and low for dippin' dots and cracker jacks. We bought scorecards and pencils, and gawked at a wedding party (I mean, I'm a crazy fan, but this is going a little far...they were married IN the stadium, an hour before the game. Not even kidding....).
have to say. She's figured out how to read the MetroLink maps, buy tickets, and she loves taking responsibility for where we got off, getting our tickets validated, and making sure we got on the right train coming home. We got there super-early and roamed the stadium, taking it all in and hunting high and low for dippin' dots and cracker jacks. We bought scorecards and pencils, and gawked at a wedding party (I mean, I'm a crazy fan, but this is going a little far...they were married IN the stadium, an hour before the game. Not even kidding....).The actual game was seen from a luxury box, thanks to my dad having leftover tickets at the end of the year, and this could not have been more ideal...Lu didn't have to sit in her seat for 9 innings, could go roam around inside, pick at the fruit platter, make friends with everyone else in the box, use the bathroom every 30 minutes, etc, and I could sit and watch the game. A win-win. She actually watched most of it, "kept score" for several innings, and got to see fireworks twice (for a homer by Ankiel and for the Cards winning the game).
It was such a nice evening...with one of my favorite people at one of my favorite places doing one of my favorite things. And she loved it almost as much as I did. I so love getting to raise my little Cardinals fans in the shadows of Busch 3, and not from afar. And I love knowing that we'll get to do this again. And again. And again.
wonder...

6 comments:
what a PERFECT date for both of you! Last september when you and I were there school hunting I remember you daydreaming about this very thing...so glad for you both!
So glad you got to do this with Lucy!!! Looks like so much fun!! Makes the move (and all the accompanying headaches) worth while!!??!! Wonderful to do something you love in a city you love!! We miss you, the Trotters.
yea!! How fun and what a wonderful memory for you both. I want to come do that!!!
I love reading your blog! I'm so glad you are getting to share your favorite things with your baby. Miss you!
Precious!!!
It really was so great...to be able to share with my child one of the happiest parts of my childhood was so meaningful for me. Not to mention how nice it is to have significant one-on-one time with a child...that is so rare. I wish it wasn't...she thrives so much with individual attention.
Post a Comment