Tomorrow two dear friends are doing one of the nicest things that has ever been done for me: they are throwing a birthday party for Lucy. Lucy turns five on July 19th , three weeks after we move to St. Louis. As the move has grown closer, she has begun to realize that her birthday would happen there and not here, and has asked me if I thought her friends in Jackson would drive to St. Louis for her party. This breaks my heart - she lives for parties and loves her friends with every ounce of her being, and I have watched her really wrestle with this move because she doesn't want to leave the relationships she has here.
So OF COURSE I needed to have a party for her here before we left. That was a no-brainer. The what and how and when of it completely overwhelmed me. So much so that every time I started thinking of it, I immediately shelved it...with everything else going on, I couldn't imagine how I was going to pull it off.
Enter Lisa & Erin, who offered to give a going-away party for us, which we promptly turned into a birthday party for Lucy! I cry just thinking about it...the idea that someone else would do something so meaningful and needful for my child when I am so unable to do it is just beautiful. What precious friends. There really is nothing better than other people loving your kids.
On top of all of that, it's going to be a really kick-ass party...it's a princess party, of course, and we are adding the frog princes to the theme so she can invite all her boyfriends, too. There will be a castle space jump, princess and frog-prince themed games and contests, a cake with a glittering castle, the works. The invitation (see above) reads as follows:
calling all Princesses and frogs . . .
Princess Lucy is moving to a castle in St. Louis,
there is no doubt she means the world to us.
One wish we can grant before she departs . . .
celebrating her fifth birthday with those close to her heart.
So come help us party and bid farewell, too,
It won't be as fun if we don't have you!
Now I'm crying all over again.

2 comments:
What sweet words. I can't think of anything I'd rather do than host a birthday party/going-away for Lucy, who was truly like my first born daughter!!! And please, although it feels like we're doing this all for you guys...., we're also doing this for us too!! :) WE don't want to miss Lucy's 5th birthday!! :) Cannot wait!! Lisa
This really is a fine act of friendship--you guys are so thoughtful. I have been waiting until the last minute to make the decision on coming up tomorrow or not...must update you on our recent drama--this time had to surger Gracie's foot and now it is infected......more details on your email. But I know the party will be a dream come true for a real life princess, and a great memory for ever!
Post a Comment